Sunday, October 9, 2011

Harvest of Harmony Pageant & Parade

Police officers from the Grand Island Police Academy
Last weekend I made my way through the road construction to Grand Island for the Harvest of Harmony Pageant held by the Grand Island Chamber of Commerce, and then the parade the following morning.  

I arrived that afternoon for the pageant rehearsal and met all the thirty some contestants vying for the title of Miss Harvest of Harmony 2011.  Now I must explain that this pageant is not affiliated with the Miss America Organization but is still a great opportunity to meet new friends and have a great weekend.  All of the contestants were nominated by the students and faculty members of their high schools.  They were all seniors and did a great job representing their schools.  I was very impressed by their maturity during rehearsal and even told some of the volunteers, "I don't ever remember being this quiet in high school!"  Not to worry though, they really came alive once we got back to the hotel to get ready for the pageant.  They most definitely were the chatty high school girls that I remembered being!


The pageant was a great turnout and I had a great time performing and emceeing.  I received many compliments on my sense of humor, which I soaked in like a sponge!

Miss Emily won the Miss Congeniality award, my favorite!

Miss Harvest of Harmony 2011

One of my biggest fans!
After the pageant was over we all got into our jammies and had a pizza party at the hotel!  It was great to relax and get to know that girls a little more, and do a little football talk too.  It was an early morning Saturday as the bus was leaving the parking lot at 7am.  I'm glad I had a blanket to keep me warm during the parade!

Staying warm before the parade!
After the parade I had just enough time to get to Lincoln for some lunch and relaxing time and then I was off to Omaha for another parade!  I sure got my practice waving and smiling :)  Not that it's too terribly difficult.

With the other queens at the UNO Homecoming Parade
Even though it was a packed day it was great!  I got to meet some wonderful girls, make two appearances and watch the football game with some friends that night! 

Loving life,
Kayla
Miss Nebraska 

No comments:

Post a Comment