Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Husker Tailgate with ME!

This little angel came just to take a picture with me!

I woke up early Saturday morning a little sleepy, but mostly nervously ecstatic!  I couldn't believe that the fundraiser was finally going to happen.  For those of you playing a little catch up yourself I, along with one amazing group of women, have been planning this event for a couple months and finally...after hundreds of phone calls, emails, personal visits, requests and prayers, it was finally here.  

The whole event was planned around the Nebraska vs. Penn State football game and everyone helping was eager to get the day started.  When I arrived at the Gering Civic Center that morning I must say I was a little nervous.  Don't get me wrong, everything looked wonderful but it also looked SO big!  I didn't think the room would ever fill up.  Little by little my family and friends started showing up, looking through the silent auction and grabbing some pastries before getting settled at their tables, which were wonderfully decorated might I add! (Misty & Heather)  

About ten minutes before kickoff I stepped outside the room and was welcomed in with cheers and of course a little Nebraska tradition of the tunnel walk, I felt like such a champ with everyone on their feet yelling and cheering for me!  I opened the event with a few words and a song and then on the screen was the amazing sight of both teams kneeling in prayer with Coach Ron Brown.  What an awesome way to start the game and boy was I ready to watch!

Our great cheering section!

My wonderful directors Amy and Jay!

At halftime I was able to perform a couple different songs, one being the one I will be performing at Miss America in less than two months!  It was such a blessing to be with the supporters of the communities that I grew up in.  So many family members and close friends came to watch, even friends that aren't Husker fans put up with the game just for me!  (How dare they not be fans!)

One wild bunch of women :)

The ultimate Husker fan, Bob Neville.

My go-getter, helper and calmer :)

I can truly say that I have been blessed beyond belief with amazing and unique people in my life.  I wouldn't have been able to put this on, or even thought of the idea without the help of my team!  You all know who you are (Heather, Misty, Cindy, Cinda, Mom, Leah, Aunt Becky, Mrs. Mitchell, Melinda, Shardel, Kyla) I will forever be thankful for all the hard work you put in this event.  Some of you I barely knew before this started and I am so grateful that I can now call you friends.  Please know your support means the world to me.  For all the sponsors, donors and contributors, thank you.  I loved watching you all have a great time and in turn in made the day so worth it to me.  

The point of this fundraiser was to raise funds for my wardrobe and expenses for Miss America (and that we did) but I think it was much more than that.  It was communities coming together and supporting me and for that I will not be able to thank you enough!  God blessed this day with wonderful people, a successful event and a beautiful ending.

God is good!
Full of thanks and feeling beyond blessed, 
Kayla
Miss Nebraska

ps.  We are waiting to hear the final dollar amount but I will keep you posted!  Also, I'm headed to California tomorrow so look for oodles of pictures of my adorable nieces soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment