Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Petersburg's Punkin' Chunkin'


The day before Halloween I made my way to Petersburg, Nebraska where I found one of the most interesting and exciting events I've been to yet.  It's an annual event called Punkin' Chunkin' and what an event at that.  I didn't really know what to expect when I pulled into the open bean field filled with giant air tanks with canons coming out of the end.  I'm not even joking, there were at least ten of them some professional some amateurs all competing in the same events; distance shot, still target shot, and moving target shot.  Unfortunately, I was unable to watch all the competitions because I was busy signing autographs, but I heard all the shots.

I learned that there is actually a national competition for pumpkin chunking where the same type of challenges are had.  Because it was such a windy day there weren't any teams that set any records but their shots still went super far, like three cornfields far (for those of you who can estimate how much that is).  


Despite the wind and cold, I had such an amazing time!  Vans, pickups and cars pulled around my table to block the wind from getting to me and I was wrapped up in a blanket to stay warm, what more could I ask for?  I had such a great time meeting the kids and visiting with all the volunteers and staff making the event happen.  I think this is definitively going to be an event I come back to, maybe a tradition even. :)



A little wind blown,
Kayla
Miss Nebraska

No comments:

Post a Comment